1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's in a box

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by DutchNick, Feb 26, 2017.

1. DutchNick

DutchNick Member

Most people throw away the beautiful packaging that comes with hifi components. A few don't and we should honor them in some way! But for those of us who acquire used gear, it's most common that it comes without its original box.
    I move house more often than most people and I also rotate gear in and out between 'use' and 'storage'. The heavy Pioneer Elite / Reference gear I like needs a lot of protection and standard boxes don't work well. So I am making my own boxes... a local cardboard box maker made the custom sizes and I am making custom padding from high density foam.
    Here's the problem: the best foam I found (price/performance/workability) tends to crumble a bit. It only happens when you load gear in and out, and it's not enough to stop me from using that foam, but I do want to protect the components from the dust. So I need an inner liner and I don't want to use reactive or clingy plastics.
    Here's the question: does anyone know the proper name of the slippery white-silver fabric that usually wraps components in original packaging? And who makes it and where can it be bought from?
    Thanks in advance
    Nick