1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When You Wander Into Your Local Second Hand Shop...............

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by nickeccles, Feb 12, 2018.

1. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Just a quick post for now.............

Driving through town today I made a snap decision to go see the local comedian in his second hand shop - I say comedian as his prices are hilarious!! :lollegs: :lollegs: :lollegs: Sharp VZ-2000's for £500 a piece & he has a few albeit with all sliders missing! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Anyway I digress - Now I have always got on well with him despite not having been in for a good 2 years, he was his usual self, jovial & friendly, this was just as well as I spotted this about to be cleaned :biggrin:

Couldn't believe my eyes - a deal was struck in seconds & it came home with me!

A lot to do, mostly cleaning & belts/tyres etc but she works.........

Big post to follow after restore........

But for now: Viola :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

111 (1).jpg 111 (2).jpg 111 (3).jpg

thid and Mystic Traveller like this.
  2. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

yay, i used to have one - nice and underrated box - i allways think it was made for the german market trying to copy that "Grundig-style"

unfortunately i sold mine and now regret it...

nickeccles likes this.
  3. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Nice one Nick...a quality one there

nickeccles likes this.
  4. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Nice spontaneous catch, Nick! :nodding:

nickeccles likes this.
  5. Patron

Patron Active Member

That's so nice,

nickeccles likes this.
  6. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Nice. That is the box I was thinking about when I commented about your Sony having Analogue tuning on a Digital Display.
    Another box featuring cutting edge technology back in the day. When CB came out in 1981 people were surprised that Sanyo could make
    a single chip PLL frequency synthesizer that would run at 17MHz (27Mhz - IF).

nickeccles likes this.
  7. Easthelp

Easthelp Active Member

Hello to our Nick Eccles. That Sharp GF-9595 "find" of yours is a good-looking boombox. It certainly seems intriguingly punctuated with controls. I seem to remember taking particular note of it not long after I joined Stereo2Go several years ago. (I must remind myself to not confuse this with the “flat-top” Sharp GF-9797, also an analogue-tuner but instead with an SW band.)

Member autoreverser states that the '9595 is an "underrated box." That may be partly because it doesn't have the huge size and the shuddering power consumption that its far more numerous analogue-tuner counterparts at times come with.

Perhaps more practically, its having a longwave band in lieu of a shortwave band will discourage boombox collectors in the Americas who may want to try tuning something once in a while other than a "Top 40 Hits" FM station or sports radio on the AM dial.

And, still more practically, there is the matter of parts, parts, parts. How compatible are analogue-tuner components in a digital-tuner 'box come repair time?:shrug:

Anyway, Mr Eccles, you have the skill -- and, maybe with some ordering, the parts -- to tackle projects like tape-deck re-belting, DeOxit-ing and the like. Do be successful -- and do enjoy good music with that Sharp. (And, uh, I suppose you meant voilá for your flourish?)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2018
    nickeccles likes this.
  8. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Look out for a full write up with lots of images soon!! Deck repaired, switches cleaned - the clean up continues........

9. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I was just checking out that box on a Japanese Website thinking it was pretty cool execution, great find! The service manual is over on hifiengine......

nickeccles likes this.