1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is modern pop music so terrible?

Discussion in 'Music: Albums, cassettes, new releases...' started by Command8, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Share your thoughts and opinions.

Risingsunproject and Chris like this.
  2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Well check this out for an eye opener or is it ear opener?

Risingsunproject and Chris like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Active Member

Completely agree with everything in that video, it does seem like modern music is churned out like something from a factory line.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Risingsunproject likes this.
  4. Risingsunproject

Risingsunproject Active Member

tn.jpeg

And is why we listen to Rock
    (ok i can listen pretty much anything from jazz/blues till psytrance if i like the beat ).Do one now for new hip hop/rnb same result.
    Pop to me is Metallica.
    Then try to talk to a 20 year old it will enrich your view of things.......maybe even increase your IQ!
    Then go to your local kiosk that has speakers and always plays rock/metal hard rock and read the new magazine Strange with titles like corpse worshiping ,the unknown powers of humans,the mystical field that unites us,where there zombies in the balkans?And other cool stuff that make your day and life worth the effort................
    Living in troubled times...........i am certain that i am uncertain of human evolution.
    And i thought UFO and some crazy ass cartoon robots from Japan like Voltron were enough!

Chris likes this.
  5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Music is like, cars, professional sports, electronics, etc. Once the producers have set on the template they just mass-produce it with as few alterations as possible. I noticed this really start to take hold in the early 80's when I was a young student of design. Companies were moving away from individual designers and going towards "teams" and "focus groups" while the designs started to homogenized. Music was no different, for every #1 hit there were a million groups trying to replicate that sound. Sports, same thing, instead of playing in the backyard making up plays, kids now go to camps to learn the same drills they can use if they're the .0001% that plays pro. Individuality is dead for the sake of profit. The good news is the kids don't know any different.....

Command8, Chris and Risingsunproject like this.
  6. Risingsunproject

You forgot film industry arts etc bad replicas of the past.But this is not what everybody wanted?To be multiethnical to be diverse to be of one opinion to love everybody to feel free to fit in to have no borders i can go on forever.....etc
    Now get your cars and clothes mass produced from china that state xxxxl and i do not fit an arm inside,your food from the blender and your music from the tin can..........

Chris likes this.
  7. Mister X

8. Risingsunproject

Non politically speaking............even pop culture was kinda funny and cool until it became a culture

9. Mister X

10. Risingsunproject

And this is pop metal(or hard rock) :The band are called Ghost i kinda like them or find them funny but guitar performance speaking average..Plus they are an older band with a new makeover

Correction maybe horror pop hard rock metal haha papa emeritus and the rest its actually good for halloween...hahahaahah

I ll give an other example of a pop metal charade:So i hear every "neometal" fan wants to have sex with that girl and that this is good metal or something well to me just boring and a girl with f@#d up voice

Then there is this.
    Can you spot the difference?!19th of July together with Judas Priest in Athens Rockwave by the way.....

Chris likes this.
  11. Mister X

I shot that photo when Ghost opened up for Iron Maiden this summer; that's the second time I've seen them live here and I'd go back again. I've got my JP ticket, they'll be here in a few months, can't wait to see the metal gods!

Risingsunproject likes this.
  12. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Metal is not "pop"

In pop music, nobody plays an instrument. No guitars, no drums, no keyboard, no nothing. It's all computer-generated rubbish, made with a catchy beat to get people dancing. And the voices are "touched up" via autotune to "fix" any problems. Probably because the singer had no talent to begin with.

Chris and Risingsunproject like this.
  13. Risingsunproject

ohh there is "pop" in metal but free speaking.Another remark there are actually 7 notes and one octave so....videos shown by TooCooL4 has a good argument however we will find many legendary rock bands creating legendary songs on 4 chords
    And i stick to my opinion the album Reload by Metallica is pop and a dark page for the band that should be forgotten However if you do not like the term pop i can change it to "mainstream poser band"

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  14. Risingsunproject

Yes papa emeritus has something good going hahahhahahahahha

I am laughing my ass out every time i see this........
    They are actually a good show and you can have fun with them but i would not take them seriously
    Then again a 58 year old Dickinson can outperform them in a show.
    Iron maiden maybe old and cant sing as in the past but they are great showmen and that is why even if they come out 0n wheelchairs their concerts will be packed!

15. Risingsunproject

Reli sorry you believe i can listen to pop of any kind?
    I am already scratching by just using the term haha.......

16. Risingsunproject

My last reply to this post this guy probably nailed it

and i am just copying and pasting to prove a point bahhhhhhhh i stop now!

17. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

You know you are getting old when you think all Pop Music is Terrible.

Read this review from the New York Times and see if you can guess who they were talking about :scratch2

"Mr xxxxxxx has no discernible singing ability. His specialty is rhythm songs which he renders in an undistinguished whine; his phrasing, if it can be called that, consists of the stereotyped variations that go with a beginner's aria in a bathroom. For the ear, he is an unutterable bore."

Something I do think that young artists are at a big disadvantage in that just about every style you can imagine has already been done dozens of times already. Some time ago I heard an interview with Phil Oakey of the Human League and he described how amazed he was the first time he heard the Synth solo at the end of ELP "Lucky Man".

On that basis I bought a CD but just thought "was that it ?" Thirty years of synth solos by Musicians using progressively better synths had left me jaded.

When was the last time you heard anything that sounded genuinely new ?
    The last thing I can think of was Cher's "Believe" from 1998.

A final thought after watching many Top of the Pops repeats. No matter what the era, for every stand out classic there are several songs which best forgotten, and which never make it onto the "Best of" albums or nostalgia station playlists.

Command8 and Risingsunproject like this.
  18. Command8

Command8 Active Member

No kidding, I'm currently studying product design as my bachelor's.

Risingsunproject and Mister X like this.
  19. Risingsunproject

Please tell the Ceos There is an increasing demand on sexy hi fi equipment and when i say sexy i do not mean sponge bob type ones.................

20. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Since no one has guessed this is the person who was described by the New York Times as having "no discernible singing ability"

from 1956 the same year they wrote that review.

I suspect that, as always, the fact that parents hated him made teenagers like him more.

This is where I read about the review

https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/articles/dd4f6857-aa6b-4a97-8a1a-941402e1ca6e

another amusing one is accusing Kate bush as having "all the unpleasant aspects of David Bowie"

I'm afraid I can only understand the bits about Elvis, Kate and Dexys. Too old to know about the others :old:

Over to the comments about product design, the Renault 5 could be an interesting study

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_5

The second generation was an entirely new car with transverse rather than longitudinal engine.
    However, Focus groups suggested the most popular styling was the closest to the old one.
    However, soon after launch many people didn't even realise it was a new model.
    Reminds me a bit of Boyzone and Westlife (who at least had different names).