1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wm-50 cracked gear

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by speedy2.0, Jan 25, 2018.

1. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Hi all,

I finally got my wm-50 toyota after a long wait. I’ve disassembled it, and replaced the belt and done a general clean. The play function now works ok, however after much inspection I can see the large reverse gear has a crack, in the same fashion as the DD and on play and reverse catches and jams.

Are these gears readily available, and is the desoldering of the pcb easier than it looks? This unit is a whole level higher than my basic DD repair.

2. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Can you post a photo of the cracked gear? I may have some spares.

3. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

It’s below the motor, the last disc before the deck metal.. In the manual I think it is part#56, gear outset supply reel. When you turn the right hand cog it turns this wheel directly. It looks really difficult to get to...

I can’t get a picture but I can see the plastic gap. Let me try...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  4. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Ok i see it. Seems to be a common fault in the wm10 style walkmans. You should look out for cheap WM10's on ebay or any other auction site and yes that is quite difficult to replace. I'll see if I have a spare one but I am in Australia so postage to you would be quite expensive.

5. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

It may be cheaper just to buy a broken unit! I think that disc has the metal face built into it as well, the distinctive design feature. I keep thinking about 3D printing a new one but I have no idea about that