1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WM-7... is it me or is this a GREAT walkman?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by doublecee, Apr 1, 2017.

1. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Hey

So Ive been going through the collection today and having a play of several machines. The reason is that I just like to make sure none have batteries in, and they get get a little use before being put away. But when I came to the silver wm-7, I just couldnt put it down. In fact, Im still feeding it cassette after cassette.

What is it about this machine that makes it so sonically pleasing? Im guessing the very solid build helps a lot. But did they do anything else with the design to set it apart from its peers back in the day?

CC

2. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

I have several WM-7's and I like them the a lot :biggrin: I don't really know exactly what makes them sound good, but they do. They do have a good Dolby circuit and work well with Metal tapes.
    It bettered most of it's peers of the time with auto reverse, full logic control and of course remote control.

3. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

I'm just listening to Jamiroquai'a new LP Automaton, recorded to a new HX-S 90 on the RX-505, from a rega plana 3, via a project tube box S (replaced the tubes with super nice German tubes).

Listening on the WM-7, switching between between the new Gold Koss ports Pro's, Grado 325e and Sen HD-20 and this unit is killing it.

I never really used the 7 that much because it would crackle a bit whenever I touched the metal body. I tracked it down to the switch associated with the case open button. It's connected to a circuit, and as soon as I got some deoxit into that switch, body touch crackle gone.

Sure, it's no DC2, but this is a VERY VERY capable machine that just doesn't want to stop impressing even after all these years.

I have to more in the collection. One sounds great put is a bit noisy internally. The other needs a belt. I think I'll get to that belt tomorrow ;-)

autoreverser likes this.