1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WM-DD door screw size

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by speedy2.0, Oct 27, 2017.

1. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Hi all, was just wondering what the size screws are for the front door to attach to the unit? Mine is missing two, and the screw holding the door on is bare. Its a lot bigger than the m1.4... perhaps requires a nut also?

Also I’m missing another screw inside. The m1.4 are all present. There are two originally, one on each side of the head chassis, which holds the door assembly to the lower plate. It holds plastic to the metal in each corner. image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  2. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

The screws holding the door to the walkman body are Sony custom made (Sony part number 3-307-831-00) as they also serve as hinges. In your case it looks like someone drill a hole in the door to add an extra screw but that is not how it is supposed to be fixed :)

3. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Ah! I knew it looked odd! I think from other images, there’s one screw in the door... is there a nut on the inside holding the screw? Curious to know what the original looks like. I have no comparison

4. StaticAudio

StaticAudio Active Member

Maybe it's an extra hole to put a screwdriver through to adjust the playback head, so for azimuth correction?

5. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Possible, but the head mount is sprung with a small catch and easily accessible. My theory is the previous owner couldn’t get the custom screw and cannibalised this unit for another one in better condition and just used a wider screw. Another thing I noticed is the missing screw inside where the tweezers are, the door action moves the whole plastic area because this screw is missing, so possibly this action has worn out the original screw.

6. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Ok so I’ve lost the tiny plastic split washers while changing the gear even after advice to be careful... is there a preferred place people order these from?

7. wm_dan

wm_dan Member

We're yours the clear ones by any chance? The black ones can be found if you have a light colour floor. I think someone is on my side when I fix walkmans, I've had these clips fly off and hit walls and I've still managed to find them. I've also had springs go flying and spent ages looking for them. But luckily now I finanly have a box of spares

8. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Clear ones yes. I’m a bit stuck now, I’ve managed to put it back together missing the washers, I’ll put them on at a later time, and now I get no power at all. Must have dislodged a wire somewhere

9. matic777

matic777 Member

May I ask where did you get them ?

10. wm_dan

wm_dan Member

Sorry for confusing
    They are spares from donor machines I've stripped down
    Such as heavily liquid damaged boards
    Very poor condition cosmetics
    Not worth fixing