1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wm-f606

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by daisy perry, Nov 18, 2017.

1. daisy perry

daisy perry New Member

I can't find anything about this model anywhere, mine does not have the nickel cadmium battery, but the single aa battery attachment. does it need the rechargeable battery to work? at the time I can't seem to get it do do anything, and there's not service manual I can find.

2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

It should work off its AA battery if you have the "gondola"
    It would need new belts, thats a taken. Other than that more specifics must be posted so that those "in the know" (not me) could respond!
    Anyhow, Welcome to the Forum!!!

3. daisy perry

daisy perry New Member

that's good to know, I'm not sure if it's the belts since the battery light doesn't do anything and I hear no sound from the motor, I'd like to take a look into it but I can't find a service manual and I'm afraid I'll break it.

4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

SM won't help you much until you open the thingy! Thats the beauty of Walkmans, if you fry it its not like you wasted McIntosh or Krell... Open it!!!
    And post photos...
    Or ask for professional help (not me either!) and bite the $$$ :)

5. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

your walkman is a valuable walkman. Do you have all accessories? including the remote?
    It is easy to replace belt on most of sony walkmans.
    Before opening the walkman make sure when you push the play button you hear the sound of motor running (that means most probably the problem is the belt).
    Also make sure to find the appropriate belt before opening it

6. daisy perry

daisy perry New Member

I bought it untested for pretty cheap with only the aa battery attachment and the walkman itself, it may need belt replacements but I can't tell because I'm afraid to open it and break it. the other main issue is that there are no motor sounds at all something seems to be the issue there.

7. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

this is an extremely interesting and nice unit - as i have a WM-505 this seems to be something like the "next generation" of it - with fm as well !

does it have - like the 505 - also the gumstick-option ?

8. autoreverser

(sorry, i don't know that much about this unit, because generally it is a bit too young for my interest... )

9. daisy perry

daisy perry New Member

I'm a bit new to all this so forgive me if I've never heard the term "gumstick option" before, what does it mean?

10. daisy perry

daisy perry New Member

also, usually service manuals seem to show step by step instructions on disassembly, at least for all the other walkmans I've worked with. this one I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to open it, mostly because I'm afraid of damaging it. I really do want to get this one working because I really like this model and I feel lucky to have even gotten one that doesn't seem to work.

11. autoreverser

hi, a "gumstick" is a flat recheargable battery wich you can use in your unit, usually it goes flat inside the unit and powers it instead of the little external AA-paxk. i don't know your unit, but i guess you can undo the batterybox easily, a little flat lid to enter a gumstick-battery will be visible.

a gumstick (here an example)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Digital-Ad...r-Sony-Mp3-and-MD/1442432366?iid=222489512989

needs an extra charger - if it didn't come with your unit you'll have to look out for one, because usually you cannot charge it inside your walkman.
    it's at least worth a try with one of those, if your problem is maybe caused by bad contacts in the AA-box...

good luck !

12. autoreverser

gosh, now that i'm looking at gumstick-chargers i got a fright - they seem to be "gold-dust" - i definitively don't want to know how many of those i gave or even threw away :swoon

13. A O

A O Active Member

Forget the cheeky asking prices, these have never sold for more than £20, ever

14. daisy perry

daisy perry New Member

that's what I thought, but no, it only has the aa attachment. I tried beaking that open and nothing seems wrong, but i am by no means a professional. there is a capacitor inside and I don't have the tools to tell if it's still working.

15. daisy perry

daisy perry New Member

ok, so I finally got it open, and oddly enough, two wires were already detached and there's no belts whatsoever. for this I'm definitely going to need a service manual or at least info on what kinda of belts it takes and how they're placed.

16. daisy perry

daisy perry New Member

here's the inside

Attached Files:

17. bub

bub Active Member

Unfortunately your machine is missing several mechanical components as well. The clutch gear and takeup reel gear, both often found broken in WM-150 mechanism Walkmans, are missing. It seems like the revious owner either cannibalized them for another machine or disposed of them.

You will need another mechanism to source the parts.

autoreverser likes this.
  18. autoreverser

yep, unfortunately bub is right - this is an ex-f606 - sad, but that's how it is, you got nicely ripped off :badmood: