H_designer, I can see you & I are going to be good friends
As mentioned earlier by Beanie Man, I'm the resident Hitachi 3D freak, & you are manna from heaven for the likes of me!
The CX-200 is comparitively rare for a 3D, I think - it was one of the last ones I found.
Mine is currently fully working & my 4 year old son has it in his room - the CD player & tape deck getting daily use, over twenty years on:
I got it from s2g member Radio Raheem, who himself got it in truly shocking condition from a dump. Here's the story:
It could use a new centre woofer (couldn't quite get all the dirt out!), so I'm on the lookout for another CX-200 as well... or another 3D52 as I think it has the same speakers.
It is not easy for you to restore to this level. It looks beautiful ....
I hope too to find an offer on eBay but I have not seen any the recent years.
Let's communicate if we can find the unit.
TRK-3D52 could be the very last model of TRK equipped with 3D ASW.
Your involvement in the Hitachi 3Ds interests me greatly.
I have pretty much every model you mentioned, so I own quite a bit of your work
Especially look out for 3D40, 3D45, CX-200, CX-250, CX-W700, CX-W750, CX-950 ...
I've owned a 3D7 from new, so I have a soft spot for the '1st generation' 3Ds: 3D2, 3D7, 3D8, 3D9 & the enormous CX-W800.
CX-W800 considered the 1st generation CD integrated product. CX-W700 is the second. CX-W500 & CX-200 are the third and CX-950 is the end ...
I would still consider CX-W700 is best sounding.
That said I think the ASWs are the best for sound quality. I have a Demo CD for the CX-W700:
..& the boomer to match, of course
May I know which market this CD belongs to?
I have another one that could either for the Swedish or German market.
I am going to upload the pic tonight.
If I might pick you brains? I have a couple of questions for you:
- Can you confirm that in Hitachi 3D names, suffixing a 5 or 50 meant a digital tuner? (such as 3D45 = a 3D40 with a digital tuner & CX-W750 = CX-W700 with a digital tuner)
You are absolutely right!
- Who are/were Lo-D? Were they a Japan only brand for Hitachi?
Lo-D = Low Distortion; a domestic (Japan) brand name for Hitachi Audio that carry a little more premium .... It wasn't took off well, we like to blame on the wrong naming "Lo" sales!!! I believe it was the reason for Hitachi to owned Denon for quite a long period.
- My Hitachi 3D with a CD & ASW is the CX-W700 (similar to the 3D90, but with a CD), but what is the CX-W950?
An ambitious effort from Hitachi. It was originally developed in Japan and I was the baby sitter. It came with a 3D ASW but in a very different way from the W700.
It is not visible from the front view. Instead it works by a press of a front panel button to operate a motorized duct cover (bass outlet) on the top cover. Full logic control with remote unit. Not to forget the premium looking "front loading CD". This is the last emperor of the 3D kingdom! I will try to locate a pic for you. You should include this in your list.
My 3D collection is up to 19, but I'm still missing:
- CX-CD5 Japan only (I think) 3D5 with a CD player. Never seen one, just pics on the web. Rarer than rocking horse poo, it seems.
- CX-W300 (never even seen a pic, but it's on some lists online)
- CX-W400 (only ever seen a pic)
- CX-450 (seen once on eBay, & missed it! Only want it if it definitely has an extra woofer in there somewhere)
My search continues...
I would consider CX-W300, CX-W400 & CX-450 are the "grey" models. I might have involved with 1 of them. Allow me time to find out a little more information about these. And CX-CD5? please show me the pic.
My 'qualifying rules': it must be Hitachi, a portable (take batteries), have at least one extra amplified woofer.
TRK-3D has very strong design intents as follow. And this is a typical design exercise of "form (factor) follows function".
1) A pair of Stereo amplified speakers with extra amplified woofer.
2) Major mechanisms and controls are located on the top panel (flat) to allow near ideal "speaker box" concept formed by both the front panel and rear case.
3) Deep rear case design to create "volume" for the speakers.
4) 3D ASW works as a closed box woofer with "long" port for deep bass (like the Bose acoustic mass). And the inner box itself acts also a separator for the pair of stereo speakers. Therefore it produce cleaner mid and high pitch sound with deeper bass as well.
My friend, you do have good reasons to fancy Hitachi 3Ds.
...one other thing: You mention the CX-250. A CX-200 with a digital tuner? Oh, yes please Yes. not excatly good looking as the CX-200 but it equipped with digital tuner and remote for the CD player. It was an extention of the CX-200.