1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Request How-To: Wiring up remotes to new headphones via plug

Discussion in 'Headphones Area' started by Fulltimehuman, Feb 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Fulltimehuman

Fulltimehuman Member

I am trying to wire up a Walkman remote with fixed headphones to a new 3,5mm socket so I can use my own phones. I cut off the old phones and placed the new socket, knowing that there are 4 individual wires, 2 to each channel, as volume is apparently done through variable resistance. I am using a 4-pole socket and a 4-pole plug.

The thing works pretty fine, but there remain issues with volume adjustment: while volume is indeed adjusted, the sound does not exactly grow less loud, it sounds "hollowed out" instead. When turning down the volume, the music begins to sound as if heard through a long pipe.

Can anyone elucidate me on how to precisely wire up the contacts, ideally with a picture?

Thanks!

IMG_0355.jpg

2. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Very interesting.
    Can you please explain (and maybe add a photo) of how did you figured which cables goes where?

3. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

HI I'll try to explain with a photo how I would have done it I had some fun drawing
    I would use a 3-pole jack, both male and female. the 4 internal wires of the headphones 2 are the ground and two are the channels
    the 2 grounds connected together on the input and output jacks if I used 4 wires...
    if only 3-pole shielded cable is used There are 2 channels + the ground which in this case is in common
    (looking at the image, same connection by removing a black wire from the ground)
    but looking at your post I only realized now that I've finished that the volume adjustment is digital,
    at least as I understood it with the + and - keys then I would leave the input jack at 4 poles because one pole will be used to control the volume and
    I would try to change the output to three poles as shown in the photo... very interesting let us know if it works

Spinotto cuffia.jpg

4. Fulltimehuman

Fulltimehuman Member

Thanks a lot, @Silver965. That looks interesting: I will have to have a look at the way I did it and will report back soon. I have been using the exact same Panasonic remote cable and 4-pole socket, so I think I should be able to replicate it precisely.

5. Fulltimehuman

Fulltimehuman Member

So, I gave this a try, but didn't succeed. I have a 4-pole jack, thus 4 points to solder to. I had initially soldered each wire to its own pole. I now changed this to combine the ground leads into one, but that didn't change a thing: while the sounds does get "reduced" in volume, it mostly just changes its characteristic, sounding, as mentioned, "hollowed out", not just less loud. Tried it with headphones sporting 2-pole and 4-pole plugs.

Maybe I'll have to try a different, 3-pole plug...

6. Fulltimehuman

Fulltimehuman Member

Also, the volume control is not digital here - it's analogue. There is a control wheel under the remote control. The +/- keys are used only for advancing tracks.