1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi TRQ-222: an early pre-boombox.

Discussion in 'Portable Stereos of Today & Tomorrow' started by Retro Audio Museum, Mar 10, 2024.

1. Retro Audio Museum

Retro Audio Museum Active Member

Step back into the groovy '60s, where the beat of portable cassette recorders echoed through the streets. But hold on, rewind a bit! While mono was all the rage, Hitachi was already cooking up something revolutionary. Enter the HitachiI TRQ-222, a true trailblazer unveiled in 1968, long before stereo boomboxes hit the scene.

Hitachi03.jpg

Picture this: a compact powerhouse that isn't just a tape recorder – it's a full-blown mini stereo portable cassette tape recorder/player with not one, but two detachable 5" speakers. Say goodbye to the shackles of cords because this bad boy runs on battery or AC power, delivering stereo euphoria wherever and whenever you please.

Imagine swinging open a sleek suitcase to reveal the TRQ-222, a marvel of engineering designed for life on the move. With its bump-proof construction and handy swing-out speakers, this isn't just any old tape deck – it's a portal to sonic bliss.

But wait, there's more! Clocking in at a mere 5.3 kg, this pint-sized powerhouse packs a punch, dishing out a big stereo sound that defies its compact frame. No need to fuss with tape reels – simply pop in any cassette tape and let the magic unfold.

And let's talk tech: Hitachi's special "Level-matic" record control ensures distortion-free sound at every turn, while the adjustable tone control lets you fine-tune your auditory experience to perfection. With two enclosed, detachable speakers providing stellar stereo separation, you'll be immersed in a sonic utopia whether you're indoors or out.

At a price of just 129.95 USD, the TRQ-222 includes not only speakers but also microphones and accessories – talk about bang for your buck! So why lug around a bulky recorder when you can experience the power of portable stereo with Hitachi's mini-stereo marvel?

Who says good things don't come in small packages? Hitachi's TRQ-222 is proof that big sound can indeed come in a compact form. So grab your tapes, crank up the volume, and let Hitachi transport you to a world where the "sound of gold" is always within reach.

thid, Jorge and Recaptcha like this.
  2. Recaptcha

Recaptcha Well-Known Member

Really cool post, I wonder what the target audience for a product like this was. Traveling salespeople, professionals, or regular consumers? The brochure you have on your iPad shows a girl lugging it without speakers, and it is clearly unusable in that state. Seems like Hitachi missed out on an opportunity to show the product in a real world use case. It has professional mics bundled, and complex circuitry for recording audio, but then back to the ad, it's very vague about who it's for despite the product having a 'suit and tie' look. But then you see that's the theme of the 60s... 'bigger versions of tech that went mainstream in the 80s, and marketing of the time screwing around with said tech whilst having no clear direction'. I personally believe the Walkman could have gained popularity 5 years or so earlier, if only the marketing and demographic was figured out.

Retro Audio Museum likes this.
  3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

The young lady could be heading to Woodstock to make some bootleg recordings :reelspin::thumbup:.
    In the 1960s manufacturers were still trying to push the idea of "Sound Photographs".
    Around this time a teacher Aunt of mine went as far as taking a reel to reel recorder to the Zoo to record animals. I would imagine this Hitachi could make recordings actually worth keeping.

4. Retro Audio Museum

Retro Audio Museum Active Member

@Recaptcha: The girl in the brochure lugging the whole unit together with the speakers, they are folded on the back. It is the main message from Hitachi marketing: even a girl can carry a stereo wherever she wants.

IMG20240314083825.jpg

Jorge and Recaptcha like this.
  5. Recaptcha

Recaptcha Well-Known Member

Wow! I stand corrected (actually I sit at my desk corrected). That is really cool, so you would lug it with the front exposed? That's what was throwing me off. I still think the marketing was too specific, but ey, hindsight is 20/20.