1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This week in music charts!

Discussion in 'Music: Albums, cassettes, new releases...' started by Mister X, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Here is a link to the U.K. Chart this week
    https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19840527/7501/
    We only had one Chart of any note which could lead to famous situations like Joe Dolce keeping Ultravox Vienna from the coveted Number 1 spot.

Coincidentally I watched Top of the Pops 1984 "Big Hits" this afternoon. It included the first ever U.K. performance by Madonna.

I don't remember that at the time but do remember seeing the video for Lucky Star on TOTP and falling in lust with her.

Mister X likes this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Two of our stations, one classic rock, the other classic pop have chosen to highlight 1982! So many songs and artists during this time, I loved it all, punk, rock, new wave, rap, little did we know the fun times were getting close to the top of the hill.
    Here's Billboard's Top Tracks for next week, amazingly most of these are still seeing a lot of airtime today.

Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 17-25-53 BB-1982-07-03.png

3. Mister X

Since I've been milking Rolling Stone lately, let's do their chart for this week 1987! I felt by this time a lot of music was getting way too overproduced and slick, the grittiness of punk and early metal along with the wildly experimental synth was long gone. The only bands I don't know are Front 242 and Thrashing Doves, the rest still get played a ton today! I can look at a chart today and won't know a single band on it, sad for radio music.

Some classics are my favorite The Beastie Boys and The Cult but alot of the other albums were and still are huge, I got sick of them becuase they played the same 2-3 songs on heavy rotation and there's buried gems on those albums that would be nice to hear.

June 4th 1987.jpg

4. Mister X

June 13th 1991, most of this is still in heavy rotation and look at the variety, Rap, classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal, pop, dance all in the top 50 albums.

Rolling Stone 1991 June.jpg

5. Longman

30 years ago yesterday (1993). How many of these have stood the test of time ? 1993 charts.jpg

On The Beach and Mister X like this.
  6. Mister X

Some classic songs but nothing with a "punch." The kind of music you know the lyrics to but would never go out of your way to play them. I'll find the US for the same week.

7. Mister X

From Rolling Stone, I only know 1/2 the US Singles but kind of the same, the college radio had the better chart with much more interesting bands. Check out 10 years ago, every album is great and they vary so much in style. Most of those had 3-4 radio songs and the rest were always very listenable.

062493.jpg

On The Beach likes this.
  8. Longman

Before Youtube in 1990 you could phone in to see if it was worth making a trip to the Record Shop (or Woolworth's in my location) to buy the latest top ten single, and yes the system probably used very early and unreliable voice recognition. Around then I bought a touchtone phone to make automated telephone banking much easier than trying to tell the computerised system numbers.
    1990 Charts.jpg

Mister X likes this.
  9. Mister X

Interesting selection, I don't know most of them....

10. Longman

I didn't know the No.2 Jason Donovan track. Probably only bought by girls who thought they were going to marry him :lollegs:

To me No.13 has really stood the test of time and still gets played on the radio. Combine New Order, The Pet Shop Boys, and ABC and you get.

Mister X likes this.
  11. Mister X

I don't think Electronic ever got air play over here.....

12. Longman

In a change from the usual blank cassettes adverts Woolworth's Top 60 CD chart from 36 years ago (1989). A bit of a bargain at just £9.99 each although I didn't have a CD player then. I'm sure they were a bit more a couple of years later.
    Woolworths 1989.jpg

Of course the real bargain back then was a local shop selling off last years pre-recorded cassettes for £3 each.

Mister X likes this.
  13. Mister X

It's interesting to see WASP on the charts! I never got to see them but they were in town about 20 years ago and Blackie had a fit cuz his stage wouldn't fit in the club so he cancelled. Luckily LA Guns was opening and they did a longer crazier set and I love the guns....

14. Mister X

This is from March 2nd 1985 but I can't help it, we were so spoiled, this is just the POP chart and it's all classics. My biggest complaint was music was getting a little too overproduced and predictable but to have Prince, Dokken, Maiden, Hall & Oates, Roth, VH, New Edition, Sade and the Fat Boys, how could you not be happy with radio and music in general.

upload_2024-4-16_21-31-43.png

15. Longman

I got to number 24 before there was someone I didn't recognise. I certainly couldn't do that these days.
    I certainly miss Top of the Pops. At Dance Class last night the teacher played a good track he has played several times before but I still don't know who it is.
    In contrast I discovered Madonna and became a big fan after they showed her video for Lucky Star on Top of the Pops. I then bought "The First Album" before it was even called that and had a Black and White photo on the front https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_(album)

Mister X likes this.
  16. Mister X

Holy cow, you don't know The Time? They're local legends around here and were in Prince's Movie. They had some minor hits after this but this is the classic. I remember the girls at school were talking about Madonna, there was a ton of buzz about model turned into the hottest new singer. She was in the fashion mags and her look was culture-changing (I'm sure you already know that) and then I heard Holiday, first on R&B radio then the album went ballistic and it was everywhere.

What I love about this is there's a slice of every genre, break down to the individual genres and even those went 10-20 bands deep.

17. Longman

The first time I have heard of The Time or any of their music. I guess there was only room in the U.K. for one act sounding like Prince.
    Looking through your 1985 chart it is interesting that in the U.K. people had known about Sheena Easton since 1980. Here she is often noted as the first pop star created by reality TV. Where would she be without that James Bond theme?

Back to Top of the Pops in 1985 I doubt if anyone here in the U.K. had heard of The GoGos. It wasn't until 1988, when the video for Heaven is a Place on Earth got shown on Top of the Pops that people suddenly became aware of the hot new American singer called Belinda Carlisle, and then her bandmates like Jane Wiedlin. Since the 90s I have seen her so many times I have lost count.

p.s. Here is a "Jungle" hit from 1985 which shows the excitement of Top of the Pops back then.

IMHO it started going downhill when they made live vocals compulsory. They are still showing the repeats in roughly chronological order but one of the last ones I watched had a performance by Take That which was laughably dire.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024