Looking for Denny Murphy (X-Files) model player

Discussion in 'Sightings in TV/Film/Print' started by Yuriy Sirotenko, Aug 17, 2026.

  1. Yuriy Sirotenko

    Yuriy Sirotenko New Member

    Messages:
    13
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Kazakhstan
    In my favorite TV show X-Files there is an episode called “Ice” - season 1 (S01E08)

    Actor Steve Hytner plays a geologist Dr. Denny Murphy. The character loves listening to baseball records on his portable player.

    But I can hardly recognize the brand of his player.

    It seems like some Coby and Panashiba brands, sometimes similar to the Walkman sport series, but cannot recognize the exact brand and model.

    Can anybody help?
    1000015136.jpg 1000015143.jpg 1000015141.jpg 1000015140.jpg
     
    Mister X likes this.
  2. Black Fingers

    Black Fingers Active Member

    Messages:
    210
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Netherlands
    Well on front it reads DBBS...Philips had a complete yellow sport series faking Sony's Sports walkmans.

    I think the red band on this walkman is to cover up the word 'Philips'

    My first guess would be Philips but which model i can't tell
     
    Yuriy Sirotenko likes this.
  3. Silver965

    Silver965 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    738
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Location:
    Torino
  4. Yuriy Sirotenko

    Yuriy Sirotenko New Member

    Messages:
    13
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Kazakhstan
    Wow, thank you very much for finding.

    Interesting fact, there is another brand and model with the same panel IMA IWR-30
    Screenshot_20260818-184911.png

    Looks like there is one OEM company building the same players for different companies...
     
    Black Fingers and Silver965 like this.
  5. Yuriy Sirotenko

    Yuriy Sirotenko New Member

    Messages:
    13
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Kazakhstan
    I've found Panashiba on Ebay and bought it, but unfortunately it didn't received and ebay made refunded. But there is interesting details

    There are photos of boxes of Panashiba

    [​IMG]

    We can find a model "SX-921"

    Recently I've received IMA IWR-30

    [​IMG]

    I opened player. I noticed "SX-921" printed on board.

    [​IMG]

    It seems to be Panashiba SX 921 was released firstly, and IMA IWR-30 was released latter based on SX 921. Or maybe both players had one OEM?

    Interesting fact, there is all weather radio IWR-15

    [​IMG]

    Seems to be previous model by IMA in IWR series. I bought it and if it received, I could type about it more

    There is huge question, which year IMA IWR-30 and Panashiba SX-921 were released? Question is opened
     
    Mister X and Machaneus like this.
  6. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    If I had to guess it would right around when the show was made 1993.

    We call the multiple units that look the same but different branding "AKA's" (also known as). IMA is found around here, a lot of these units are bought in bulk, the manufacturer puts a name on it and boxes it for the customer. I used to have catalogs around the office from Hong Kong and Taiwan with dozens of late 1990's boomboxes that could be bought in bulk with your name plastered on them.

    Even in Japan, the amount of parts and finished units sold to other companies and rebranded is staggering. CEC is a great example, they seemed to have built a very large percentage of turntables during the golden days of audio.
     
    Yuriy Sirotenko likes this.
  7. Yuriy Sirotenko

    Yuriy Sirotenko New Member

    Messages:
    13
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Kazakhstan
    Thank you for your message.

    I noticed no “Panashiba” brand on the seller box, only model “SX-921” but there is a Panashiba player inside (according to seller photos).

    On the Panashiba device there aren't any model names on the box, only brand name.

    [​IMG]

    But IMA has model number

    [​IMG]

    Inside my IMA IWR-30 there is text “SX-921” printed on board.

    It seems to be an OEM who developed the platform “SX-921” (with no brand box?) and, as you said, other companies bought this platform and sold it with their brand name like Panashiba and IMA.

    If I luckily find Panashiba and can buy it, I want to see inside, is there “SX-921” printed on the board. If yes, it will seem to be fact with “SX-921” OEM tag.

    Also it hard to find any brochure, catalogue and commercial about players based on SX-921 platform
     
  8. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    One of the best parts of vintage audio is that the big manufacturers had user manuals, service manuals and a ton of catalogs even breaking down to individual units. The big manufacturers might even buy from someone else (like the Sansui Mini I posted made by JVC or some Chinese Company) and still make a cool brochure like it was their own.

    Then you get to Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore and their strategy seemed to be more of "a-la-carte" meaning the buyers would select parts from different companies and find someone to assemble it and brand it. Very little brochures or service manuals are available, they were built to make money for the seller and multi-language manuals cost a lot of money.
     
    Yuriy Sirotenko likes this.

Share This Page