Scored this Sanyo M-X960K

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by LanceR, Sep 11, 2026.

  1. LanceR

    LanceR Member

    Messages:
    27
    Trophy Points:
    13
    Location:
    Bellevue, WA, USA
    Scored this clean Sanyo M-X960K in the Seattle area. From the original owner. Came with the original Sanyo microphones and owners manual. Will need belts to get the tape deck to work. This is
    a beast.

    20260911_174258.jpg
    20260911_174318.jpg

    20260911_174346.jpg

    20260911_174422.jpg
     
    Machaneus, Mister X and retro like this.
  2. Reli

    Reli Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

    Messages:
    1,117
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    USA
    Ooh, nice find. One of my top 3 boxes in terms of sound quality if everything's working right
     
    Mister X likes this.
  3. Michiel

    Michiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

    Messages:
    285
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Europe
    Great find! It looks beautiful and complete. Buying boomboxes from the original owner often yields excellent results. Unfortunately, finding items from the original owner has become increasingly rare in recent years, at least in my area. Have fun replacing the belts and enjoying this top-of-the-line model.
     
    Mister X likes this.
  4. LanceR

    LanceR Member

    Messages:
    27
    Trophy Points:
    13
    Location:
    Bellevue, WA, USA
    I see it has a nickname. Big Ben. Why the nickname?
     
    Mister X likes this.
  5. T-ster

    T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

    Messages:
    1,490
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    England
    Ah that is a great find, these are so nice and sound is full and rich. I'm guessing the "Big Ben" moniker came from the large central woofer. Either way it is very cool, great score!
     
    Mister X likes this.
  6. Longman

    Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

    Messages:
    4,082
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Bournemouth UK
    That name was used by Sanyo on their Brochures
    https://4.wikiboombox.com/tiki-page_contribution.php?page=Sanyo+MR-X20+Big+Ben

    AI's explanation

    Just like London's famous large bell (Big Ben) is renowned for producing a deep, resonant, and ground-shaking sound, Sanyo used the moniker to personify the heavy, thunderous bass output of their premier subwoofer system.

    If you have been to central London you can't help hearing "Big Ben". I guess Sanyo hoped for a comparble sound.
    Big-ben-1858.jpg

    As to why the bell got that name the person in charge of installing it was Sir Benjamin Hall.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ben

    Hopefully the Sanyo doesn't need a Trolley and sixteen horses to transport it .
     

    Attached Files:

    Mister X likes this.
  7. retro

    retro Active Member S2G Supporter

    Messages:
    124
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    New York
    Nice find, I like the smooth sounding tweeters on this box.
     
    Mister X likes this.
  8. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    Great find! I've never seen one in person but they look fantastic. Back when design was fun and over the top still had some practicality. Love the MICs, there's nothing more bitchin then period correct mics.

    Another early 80's boomer hanging around 100,000 Yen along with the AIWA CB-5 and the JVC RC-M90. The best part is all these "statement" boomers are radically different, we didn't see that as much on the Walkman Side or even with component stereos but it makes collecting a very expensive hobby.
     
    LanceR likes this.
  9. LanceR

    LanceR Member

    Messages:
    27
    Trophy Points:
    13
    Location:
    Bellevue, WA, USA
    Yea, it's a stunner. And massive, I don't think it would qualify as a carry on piece of luggage. Just for reference I paid $275 but it needs some servicing for belts. I didn't know the mics came with it. When I went to buy it, it was like, oh by the way, here are some microphones that came with it! Amazing the mics were never lost. Scoring original mics was what made it a real fun score.
     
    Mister X likes this.
  10. Reli

    Reli Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

    Messages:
    1,117
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    USA
  11. Machaneus

    Machaneus Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    542
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Location:
    Athens
    The downward position of the subwoofer resembles also the position of a bell at motion at its highest amplitude.
    I think the engineers after they concluded that this is the best position for the sub in conjunction with superbass sound found that the best way to emphasize the sound proportions was the Big Ben analogy ,of course for the same reasoning marketing guys can't be excluded.
     
    Mister X and LanceR like this.

Share This Page