The Big Thread of MiniDisc Information

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by Mister X, Jan 11, 2021.

  1. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    My Japanese Buddy gave me just the player, these are a neat version, now I have to find the rest of this brochure! Maybe it's on the old Panasonic Website?


    upload_2026-8-3_13-45-20.png
     
    On The Beach likes this.
  2. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    A pretty expensive unit from Sharp, the MD-Z3-B


    upload_2026-8-14_18-9-21.png upload_2026-8-14_18-10-6.png
     
    retro likes this.
  3. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    Kenwood 1994.2, the DMC-A7R


    upload_2026-8-15_18-4-40.png upload_2026-8-15_18-5-2.png
     
  4. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
  5. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    A neat Sony MD Player, unsure of the year. Can it take either a gumshoe battery or normal one?


    upload_2026-8-27_16-28-44.png
     
  6. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    One of the forgotten mash-ups is MD-Data which was a natural extension of the 3.5 floppy's (that Sony developed). Here's a cool brochure for one of the data drives that also looks like it can play the music discs as well. The disc says 140 Mb, the old floppys were 1.44 Mb and the Zip Drive was around 100 Mb so this would have been a very strong contender for consumer data storage. This is very nice looking and has a rechargeable battery! I'd love to see one of the tech YT's do an episode on it.

    From 1994


    Sony 1994.9 1.jpg
    Sony 1994.9 2.jpg Sony 1994.9 3.jpg Sony 1994.9 4.jpg
     
  7. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    Even JVC had one! The very rare XM-R1 MD Player which could also record. I feel like they had to record since they were expensive to start with but add in a component deck and most people would have keeped walking.


    JVC 1995.7 1.jpg
    JVC 1995.7 2.jpg
    JVC 1995.7 3.jpg
     
  8. Michiel

    Michiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

    Messages:
    285
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Europe
    Nice, I have never seen this PCMCIA MD data device. Don't think it was very common at all. Looks like it goes over SCSI. I eventually settled back then on SuperDisk LS120, mainly because it could also read standard floppy disks and integrated nicely into the systems I had.
     
    Mister X likes this.
  9. Longman

    Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

    Messages:
    4,082
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Bournemouth UK
    I found it strange that Sony didn't push MiniDisc as a data format. However, they had other plans.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/the-last-gasp-of-the-floppy-disk-why-sonys-hifd-failed-so-miserably/
    I wonder if there were internal rivalries between the computer and audio divisions.

    I too had an LS120 drive, which I recall making excellent SciFi type sounds as the computer booted. I never had any issues with it. I only stopped using it when I got a Motherboard that didn't have an IDE connector.

    It is strange that Sony had so many problems with HiFD when Imation went on to make the LS240.

    Zip drives ended up with a slight reputation for unreliability (click of death) but that happened over years not one month.
     
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2026
    Mister X likes this.
  10. Michiel

    Michiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

    Messages:
    285
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Europe
    The thing is, the SciFi powerup sound of the LS120 always made me doubt the drives' durability. It all sounded so advanced that it seemed bound to break down quickly. However, the opposite is true. I still have the systems equipped with LS120 drives (Toughbooks, Matsushita). And while standard floppy drives, the belts for instance, can run into problems, the LS120 drives are still working perfectly nearly thirty years later. The only downside to the drive was that you couldn't boot from it. But that was probably the case with the Zip and the Data MD as well.
     
  11. Experious

    Experious Active Member

    Messages:
    129
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Melbourne
    I'll just leave this here.

    1. Front Cover (Custom).jpg 2. Contents (Custom).jpg 3. Page 1-2 (Custom).jpg 4. Page 3-4 (Custom).jpg 5. Page 5-6 (Custom).jpg 6. Page 7-8 (Custom).jpg 7. Page 9-10 (Custom).jpg 8. Page 11-12 (Custom).jpg 9. Page 13-14 (Custom).jpg 10. Page 15-16 (Custom).jpg 11. Page 17-18 (Custom).jpg 12. Page 19-20 (Custom).jpg 13. Back Cover (Custom).jpg

    The MDA-5051 is the one I had/have. I'm kind of on the lookout for the matching head unit, although I don't have a spare car to put it in!
     
    retro and Mister X like this.
  12. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    Cool brochure! I'd post some cool stuff but the hosting overlords won't let me....

    I had a local guy selling me one of Sony's first MD Car Players, he was going to drop it off on his way through town. I said call/text when your here but he never did and I didn't hear the doorbell, I'm still bumming about letting that one get away.
     
  13. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    I don't think the data storage bug hit me until warez got big around 1998, anybody remember the first hacked programs on the net? There used to be websites called "warez" that had just about any program you wanted for free! Most had nasty viruses but some were fine. Storage was a huge issue and data drives seemed to be the way forward with Zip and Imation leading the pack.

    I was working in the data storage world (and cassettes) around the time of your article Longman but I dont not remember the Sony at all. We were mostly making head cleaning cartridges for all kinds of media. I used to do a ton of stuff with Zip Drives but more so for the industrial back up drives which were 8mm and came in different versions depending on the brand, 3M and Imation were huge around here.
     
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2026

Share This Page