Mini Stereos and Cool Car Compo Ads

Discussion in 'Brochures, advertising, data & specs...' started by Mister X, Jun 24, 2021.

  1. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    Experious likes this.
  2. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    I've been looking for these tiny JVC Systems, just wide enough for a CD, which is just enough for a cassette. These still go for next to nothing and they can be pretty hefty. At 66,800 Yen, they also weren't cheap.


    upload_2026-8-25_11-59-7.png
     
    LIVO likes this.
  3. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    Denon 1995, I think Denon was really doing good with the mini-systems around this time. AIWA was more for youths and budget buyers while Denon seemed to be for professionals. Denon went to horizontal tape transports which makes the units look a little more small.


    upload_2026-8-27_16-21-42.png
     
    LIVO and Papa like this.
  4. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    Onkyo 1998, this isn't bad looking. Onkyo was still building quality equipment, I'd love to get a few of these systems in a room and sound test them. This one looks to have an MD player and ditched the cassette deck.


    upload_2026-8-27_16-35-21.png
     
    LIVO and Papa like this.
  5. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    Even Nakamichi got into it with some high-art designs


    upload_2026-8-27_16-42-38.png
     
    LIVO and Papa like this.
  6. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    My local vintage shop has one of these, I love the computer look versions with the square membrane keys, the turntable is a slider on the bottom.
    1986


    upload_2026-8-27_19-27-42.png upload_2026-8-27_19-28-12.png

    Doing some pricing, 1986 was a volatile year for the yen, at the low point this system would have been around $1300 USD (without CD)


    Liberty T.png
     
    LIVO and lupogtiboy like this.
  7. Experious

    Experious Active Member

    Messages:
    129
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Melbourne
    Wow, that Sony cassette deck has to be an Aiwa design, or at the very least highly inspired by one. Most Sony decks of this era had a very flat design.

    I had a Denon mini-system, bought new maybe about 10 to 15 years ago. Separate receiver and CD player to replace an 80s Aiwa system I had been using. It looked awesome (silver with piano black speakers), but I didn't like the sound of it at all, and it had a super confusing remote with everything under a menu that made it almost impossible to operate. In the end it was replaced with a Sonos Amp and I sold it off.
     
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2026
    Mister X likes this.
  8. Experious

    Experious Active Member

    Messages:
    129
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Melbourne
    I would say that is pretty cut and dried! Even the eject buttons and switch gear are made out of the same, yellowing plastic.

    i-img1200x900-17445508904375uxog0674717.jpg
    Courtesy of Yahoo! JP

    Screenshot 2026-08-28 180540.png
    Courtesy of hifivintage.co.uk, although they made it damn hard!
     
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2026
    LIVO and Mister X like this.
  9. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    I used to think the horizontal "AIWA" Keypads were goofy looking, now I wish I had a few. That AIWA looks great in bronze, one of those full stacks came up for sale around here a couple years ago, he wanted $1000 USD, not sure what happened to it.

    The Denon I got sounds great and came with the original receipt, costing around $2000 USD in 1992. I just need to get a larger spot to photograph my mini-stereo collection and get that thread kicking again.
     
  10. Experious

    Experious Active Member

    Messages:
    129
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Melbourne
    The "bronze" was actually much closer to black, but they do fade over time.

    The Denon didn't sound bad per se, just had no bass compared to the DSL on the old Aiwa systems. I think part of the problem was I was using it in my bedroom at low volumes, and it just didn't shine like this at all. A friend of mine bought it and it went straight to the pool room! ;)
     
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2026
    Mister X likes this.
  11. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    TEAC from 2000 with Tannoy Speakers. With the 2000 exchange rate, the upper left would have been $2500.00 USD back then.


    upload_2026-8-29_13-22-35.png
     
  12. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    Now were seeing what these little guys can really do, 340 watts (P.M.P.O)! Big watts in a small box. The UX-D88 has a nice looking tape deck and look at the price of the MD player, almost as much as the whole system. Without knowing the year I'd gues these were around $500 USD for the top models.


    upload_2026-8-29_13-26-44.png
     
  13. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    1980, not really mini, I call these slim-line and they are hard to find, I've got a few different pieces from different manufacturers but I don't think I have a matching stack.


    upload_2026-9-4_17-4-43.png
     
    LIVO likes this.
  14. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    JVC UX-5
    One of the beautiful little JVC Micro Component Systems from the 90's, the UX-5, I've started grabbing these and similar models if I see them. Usually for a few dollars you're getting a tiny powerhouse that retailed for approximately $650.00 USD. They Yen to Dollar in 1994 was almost even if you dropped the last two digits. Personally I can't see these going for more than say $250.00 USD but I might be wrong. Mine is labeled "UX-5A," I'm not sure what the A is for, maybe the region it was sold but mine looks identical except I didn't get speakers with it.

    The staging below looks dumb but there is a CD player on the top right unit and maybe the space below is for CD storage? I would have lifted both and had CD/cassette storage underneath. I don't think they had PHONO in but they do have AUX, you'll have to get a phono pre-amp to use with a record player.

    Right now I'd consider some of these to be the best value in audio but they do have some entry-level you might want to avoid.


    upload_2026-9-12_16-56-14.png
     
    Papa and LIVO like this.
  15. Experious

    Experious Active Member

    Messages:
    129
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Melbourne
    I can't see "Victor" written anywhere in that ad apart from on the unit itself! Which raised the question, why does a Japanese company have a name starting with a letter they don't even have in their language? (The answer is that it was a subsidiary of an American company. :)) I also realised (translating the Japanese) that despite the use of an "l" in the English spelling, I'm pretty sure they are going for "Microdio", possibly a portmanteau of micro radio or studio maybe?
     
    Mister X likes this.
  16. Longman

    Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

    Messages:
    4,082
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Bournemouth UK
    and why do they use the same logo (before the word Victor) as the U.K.s largest chain of Record / Media shops ? https://hmv.com/
    All explained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nipper
    Nipper must be the most pictured dog in history.

    The use of the same trademark by different companies in different regions explains the use of JVC in other regions.
     
    Mister X and Experious like this.
  17. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    I know some of these companies couldn't use their JDM Names so they used new names for bigger export markets. Then the export market became much larger so they changed the corporate name to reflect that. It's interesting reading some of the JDM Discussions on it.

    Here's it's little brother from 1990, there's a pretty long thread on Tapeheads about these little guys. I did check ebay last night and they've gotten on the radar and are going for more money these days but if you can find one for a fist-full of dollars they are worth it. Make sure you get the remote, even with a million tiny buttons they do make using them easier.


    1990.11.1.jpg
     
    LIVO likes this.
  18. LIVO

    LIVO Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    447
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    France
    It’s my favorite micro-system.

    It was a technical feat for its time, as JVC/Victor caught everyone off guard—especially the giant Sony, the king of the "mini" system; this top-tier micro-system really dealt a blow to the competition. Only the speakers could have been better, but the sound is simply excellent.
     
  19. LIVO

    LIVO Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    447
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    France
  20. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    Nice review! They pretty much took the best part of boomboxes and stuffed it in these boxes, too bad none had a handle and battery pack.

    I'm with you on the speakers, none of my small systems have a "big" sound unless you connect big speakers. The closest is a Denon D-200 I recently got, but the Denon Speakers are more like real bookshelf speakers and not plastic boxes.
     

Share This Page