Panasonic RQ-SX97F/87V Remote/Spoofing

Discussion in 'Gear you want' started by bub, Sep 7, 2017.

  1. bub

    bub Active Member

    Messages:
    266
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Singapore
    I just got one of these Panasonic SX units working, but I can't turn the awful S-XBS off without the remote.
    IMG_8589.JPG
    I've looked through the service manual and the furthest I've got is to trigger the reset test point. Unfortunately reset does nothing to the S-XBS as it is on by default... If anyone has a spare remote for one of these things, let me know! They should look like this:

    P1012414_RQ-SX97F.JPG
    IMG_8590.JPG


    Alternatively, if anyone knows how to spoof the remote, that will be even better! The service manual does not include the remote's schematics.
     
  2. Radio Raheem

    Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,960
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    uk
    Sorry can't help Bub, i avoid later panasonics like this for this reason, what a dreadful idea having the bass just on the remote
     
  3. bub

    bub Active Member

    Messages:
    266
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Singapore
    I will never recommend this series (2 Belt SX) either, due to its many problems (extremely fragile clutches and gears, rubber on capstans (!)) , weak amp. But part of my curiosity wants a working SX so that I can compare it to its Sony and Aiwa competitors from the same late years (I think that even with the S-XBS off, it's not competitive).
    I can finally get one of these things working thanks to Marian's new SX belts.

    Truly an awful design having some settings only on remote... but I like the white Panasonic reels.
     
  4. Dariusz

    Dariusz New Member

    Messages:
    17
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Polska
    Hello, does the manual show how to change the FM band to Europe in the RQ-SX97F/87V model?
     
  5. forrestcowcat

    forrestcowcat New Member

    Messages:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    new york
    I have both an SX97F and an SX87V. Same analog skeleton: AN7501, 100μF from the amp to the jack (C134 / C135), 22μF / 4V on the amp rail (C111), and an extra 1μF between the volume pot and the amp input (C51). Sony cassette portables do not put that 1μF there.

    What I changed on both:

    • C134 / C135 → 220μF / 6.3V ceramic or tantalum
    • C111 → 220μF / 6.3V ceramic on the same 1206 pads (stock is 22μF tantalum)
    • C51 → 0Ω link
    On the 87V there is also C7 at 150μF / 2.5V; I treated that the same way and went to 220μF.

    After that the bottom octave holds when the volume is up, and S-XBS stops sounding like boosted empty water. The EQ was never the main problem — the path was already rolling off before it. I am copying the 220μF Sony used on CD/MD headphone outs, not adding more bass boost.

    Remote / S-XBS-off still needs the handset or a spoof. This is only the analog path.
     
  6. bub

    bub Active Member

    Messages:
    266
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Singapore
    Very cool, I need to try this on my own. These 97F and 87V sound pretty awful stock.
     
    forrestcowcat likes this.

Share This Page