1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony WM-WX1 from EBay no Remote

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by Costa32, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Costa32

Costa32 Member

I just bought a WM-WX1 from EBay at a auction, thing is... it comes with no remote control.

My question is that this unit has EX EBB and I think this function is only available by using the remote.

Anyone can help me out? Or anyone has a remote to sell?

Thanks.

Silverera likes this.
  2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Until the Real Dudes chip in, I will share my experience of a toddler-level S2G user: never buy Walkmans which require fancy plug or remote to operate! No One will sell you one, its cheaper to stay away or buy the whole package.
    Lucky me, I collect Discmans and these babies are operational with any 3.5 mm headphones :)

Boodokhan likes this.
  3. TonyL

TonyL New Member

Hi, its tru relly hard to find but if you find the price will be high

4. Costa32

Costa32 Member

Hello, I understand that. This model has a standard 3.5 mm plug and operation buttons. All functions are featured on its body, only the EX DBB isn't.

1C17FB9D-5157-4F88-BAF2-20AD574314E3.jpeg AFF2D1F0-C47E-421B-B752-BD3D5752E50B.jpeg 81156AE7-9E12-4F5A-85D9-1D6B206FFFF5.png 1717DEBF-226C-4184-9675-84B49095DE48.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  5. TonyL

TonyL New Member

It's a pity that it is so and from what I know is only a dedicated remote can save the whole situation

6. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Hi Costa,
    These WX1's are in my opinion the best wireless Walkman ever made but were Japanese market only released in September 1995. Documentation assumes you have the remote and the EX DBB instructions/description refers only to the remote. I assume that when standard headphones are used the unit defaults to Normal rather than Mid or Max DBB modes. No mention of it in the English part of the documentation which is at best very limited the bulk of it is in Japanese. I have both the charcoal and silver WX1's in my collection both with working remotes. Have never seen the remote for sale separately but regret to advise you that the remotes are paired. The silver remote doesn't work with the charcoal player and vice versa. I must admit that surprised me and I tried playing around with the channel selector on both but it didn't make any difference. They only work with the unit they are paired with. Now these a radio frequency devices so Sony must have used a limited range of frequencies for the remotes. It must be possible to find a remote with the correct RFQ for your player, The trick is finding out what the FM frequency is for left and right channel on your player and getting a remote that matches. There is a small label in Japanese on the rear of both my MDR-EW1W remote units. I can try to get a friend to translate it but it may not give any information on the frequency the unit is set to. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Cheers
    bd

7. Costa32

Costa32 Member

I understand but i could find this on the web:

received_1787975561232786.jpeg

It says the WX1 frequencies...

I know this is not very conclusive but its a start...

8. Costa32

Costa32 Member

That text translated to English using Google image text Recognition: ( with some errors but understandable )

"...MI-BAND 7 carrier frequency adopted 200 MHz which is not easily affected by broadcasting radio waves and obstructing radio waves. Also, with 2CH switching, interference / misoperation between the same model is reduced. Lch 241.34 MHz Cause (CH 2) (CH 2) R-Lch both Rch 242.03 MHz CHI-0.69 (CH 2) (CH 2) (CH 2) MHz | Lch 242.49 MHz Remote control 1223.3 MHz 223.3 MHz (Independent for each CH (Independent frequency pumping for each CH 2 ID code 2 ways) | ID code 30 ways) Remote control signal interference countermeasure 0 15 Street ID code RlaAJ / voice remote control 2 CH switching voice Signal 2 CH switching..."

9. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

OK. I haven't seen that before. Not in the box with the complete one purchased at Sony store Shinagawa Japan in October 1995. Everything is boxed and original. So I think if your Walkman is the charcoal colour then probably any charcoal coloured Wireless remote will work then. Seems only two FM variations were used.
    Still going to be hard to find tbough.

10. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

11. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Update. I have both pkayers running and depending on whichever is closer the sound signal comes through the receiver so I guess my WX1's are set to the same left and right channel frequency. This may make it easier to find a receiver for your player. Cheers
    Silverera

12. Costa32

Costa32 Member

My doubt is:

Is the EX DBB only being done in the Remote? I mean, the audio comes from the player with Flat sound and then the remote applies the DBB itself (DBB Effect only comes from the Remote and not from the unit itself?)

If we activate the DBB and connect headphones directly to the unit can it be used too? Do we notice the audio enhancements directly from the player alone? Or only through the remote?

13. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Good question but I suspect the effect is in the wireless receiver and not the player. So I had the wireless running and connected the external headphones but as soon as you do the wireless receiver stops working and you cannot select any functions remotely.
    Wow just blew an hour trying to fix the retractable earphone cord which jammed by dismantling the receiver unit and freeing up the rewinding mechanism. Tricky. Note to anyone else. Dismantle from the top as there are two 00 screws inside and you can't see those if you try to remove the bottom panel first. Phew. All good. Its working again!

14. Costa32

Costa32 Member

Well i know that the unit stops emmiting when headphones are plugged in.

I use a Scanner that receives its output frequency and i can listen to it.

So, if the DBB is activated on the remote, its only on the remote where the effect is done and not in the unit...

Well its not a very good thought, but as this player is to be paired with its own remote... so... what about the output Jack? Doesn't it deserve the DBB too?

Humm... it needs more testing to be really shure... can you do more testing?

Sorry to bother... its only my curiosity because i dont have that freaking remote!

Attached Files:

15. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Well having dismantled the remote I can see there are 2 PCB's in there and it looks like one of those has an audio function. The other remote only receives the sound from the Walkman and you can't change any settings on the Walkman with it or start ,stop, play functions. Plugging headphones into the audio jack disconnected the remotes and the player reverts back to no DBB on. Sorry but it looks like the DBB circuit is not on the Walkman PCB but in the wireless receiver. It's a function of the receiver and not the player. The WM-EX1 must have a different PCB to the WM-WX1.

16. Costa32

Costa32 Member

Thanks for the testing.

Its a thing that wont affect me so much, i use the walkman on my car radio Line In input so the more flat is the better to tune it in the radio equalizer.

But, can you provide some good photos of the switches on the remote? Some details?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018