1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, Stereo2go!

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by stuckin2003, Jan 28, 2018.

1. stuckin2003

stuckin2003 New Member

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd introduce myself quickly here, really excited to be part of the community!

I was a child of the 90s (I'm 35 now) so I experienced the tail end of the boombox era as a child. However, growing up was all about Walkmans and Discmans. I don't even want to admit how many I bought as a teenager--always saving for the next model with G Protection. ;-)

However, I've always found boomboxes fascinating, had a couple cheap models as a kid and enjoyed taping songs off the radio and making mixtapes. Within the last 6 months I've really been on a retro electronics binge on youtube and have discovered all sorts of great channels (LGR, Techmoan, VWestlife, etc)...it started off with computers but now has really ignited a passion for boomboxes. I've started to read more and learn more about the history and the various models through this and other forums, still have so much to learn, though, and can't wait to start a collection.

I can't wait to build a collection, and I finally purchased my first boombox this weekend, the Magnavox D8300 here which I found on facebook for $25, in great cosmetic condition, just need to clean out the cassette decks. I thought it was a nice little way to start!

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  2. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Welcome to the madness...starts with one, ends up with dozens lol. There are so many awesome boxes to search for it’s great fun. Is there anything specific you’re searching for? Good luck! :)

stuckin2003 likes this.
  3. stuckin2003

stuckin2003 New Member

Thanks! So many choices, definitely want one with that great early-mid 80s aesthetic. Right now I have my eye on a Panasonic RX5280. I bought about 20 awesomely obscure cassettes last weekend, can't wait to finally listen to them.

4. Risingsunproject

Risingsunproject Active Member

Welcome aboard!
    Just a clue.The disease is getting worse day by day year by year!

5. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Hello stuckin2003
    Welcome aboard
    You will have a lot of fun cleaning/ restoring your first boombox
    good luck

6. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :)

7. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Welcome aboard, that Philips/Maggy you bought have really good low volume sound to, great first box and a bargain.

As Northerner says it starts with one and ends with, well, im not sure what it ends with....... a lot of boxes!!

8. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Welcome from the other side of the river!