1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Link to UK Argos catalogues

Discussion in 'Brochures, advertising, data & specs...' started by Longman, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

On UK High streets since 1973 Argos is still one of the UKs biggest retailers of durables with over 750 high street shops. What makes them interesting is that they don't display the goods in the shops (which would
    require much more space than cramming them into a warehouse area at the back of the shop) but publish a catalogue twice a year showing their range. Over the years these catalogues have become a time capsule of what people were buying in any particular year. So if you want to see what were undoubtably the most popular boomboxes sold in the UK in 1986, and how much they cost, just look in that years catalogue.

Anyway enough waffle. The Retromash site explains things better, and best of all has a large number of the catalogues available to view online.

http://retromash.com/argos/

Scroll down to the bottom to see some 1986 boomboxes without wading through an entire catalogue.

retro likes this.
  2. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing, very interesting, time capsule indeed. :nodding:

3. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Was always a thrill when the new catalogue came out when I was a kid. Fab

4. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Yeah love the argos catologs, I have a pretty large catalog archive with Argos, Marshall wards, radio shacks etc. I did add them to my drop box for S2G members way back when. I could always add them again if there is interest.

Thanks for sharing Longers :cool:

5. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

We had a similar store in Canada called Consumers Distributing (I believe in the States as well) and they esentially put out the same catalogs. Every kids Christmas wish book.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  6. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

Found some Consumers Distributing pdf's in this link. Some mags seem to be pared down and only contain the toys, a/v gear.
    http://www.cdarchive.ca/

samovar likes this.
  7. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Im not sure but i think argos is the only decent reitailer left in the uk and maybe currys/pc world

8. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I have quite a few as well having bought several of the Catalogue DVDs available on Ebay. Some of them include quite a few American catalogues such as Sears. The "Decade of Argos catalogues" ones are IMHO good value. I have already bought the 70s, 80s and 90s ones.

While very interesting, a problem with the likes of Marshall Ward are that their pricing was always geared to the "Just 52 easy weekly payments of £1.99" for an item that would typically cost £75 on the High Street. In contrast Argos prices are normally quite competitive.

Thanks for the link. Quite a few interesting things that we didn't get to see in the UK like Citizen boomboxes.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  9. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

So you have a complete set of Argos from 70s to 90s? I have quite a few missing, care for a share?