1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Doctor Put Me On a Three Piece Diet!

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Nov 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Just reviving my own thread from a long time ago. I'm doing a lot of cleaning and rearranging in the stacks and looking at some equipment that's been stored for a long time. This JVC PC-W350 was a walk-by at the thrifts but something pulled me in and then checking it out I realized it was something special. Lot's of cool lights and membrane style buttons make this one truly unique. I think one of our members....long ago...told me it was either the #1 or #2 box for JVC, was there a PC-W550?

She still fires on all cylinders and her motor's clean but there's a really cool light on the radio dial that get brighter when your on a station that is starting to dim. There's a lot of lighting on the membrane buttons that's neat but you need low-light conditions to see them all. A quick search on the Bay showed none sold or listed, so kind-of-rare.

DSCN2130SM.jpg

2. AE_Stereo

AE_Stereo Member

:thumbup:
    Its siblings here. Seems to be 1983 catalog:
    JVC PC-W series.jpg

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  3. Mister X

Thanks! Do you have the page with the bottom two? Back in 2008, oldskool69 said the PC-55 was the flagship model and WikiBoombox shows the 55 laid out as four pieces. I'm back inside so I can't see if mine is four units.

4. AE_Stereo

AE_Stereo Member

The bottom page. They are some minis.
    JVC PC-W series2.jpg

5. AE_Stereo

AE_Stereo Member

Here is another catalog with JVC PC-W350.
    Possibly, W350 was next year model with membrane buttons as you noticed.

Attached Files:

6. Mister X

Thanks AE! The bottom photo is not showing up....

7. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

Click on the .PDF and give it a few moments. It will show up.

or right-click on the .PDF and Save to computer. It's worth it just to see all of the vinatge 80's a/v adds.

8. Transistorized

Transistorized Active Member

It's always nice to have a 3-Piece in any collection. I enjoy detaching and moving the speakers outwards on mine when outside. With a one piece box you tend to lose stereo channel separation outside with any distance away from the box. 3-Piece unit somewhat solves that issue. You can space out the speakers and gain that stereo sound again :)

9. Mister X

Thanks Brutus442! I didn't even think to click the link. I must have something switched off in my browser so the photo doesn't show up but the direct link worked. As a kid, all the three piece units I saw were just slightly better than Yorx or Emerson units, with online auctions and collector forums I've found all these cool units that I never searched for before. My last acquisitions have mostly been three-piece units, I'll post them when I get a chance.