1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Sony Walkmen WM-10ii - WM-24 and WM-EX560

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Jordach, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Jordach

Jordach New Member

Hello all, in June, I acquired a heavily damaged bronze WM-24, who was looking beaten and broken.

I soon found an awesome Ferrari red WM-24, which needed a new belt - but I had already received it from another source of belts. (Until a few months ago I recently used mihokm! I purchased one of your cassettes today. ;))

Pictures;

WM-24; completely restored to inital specifications!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I currently have another WM-24 and WM-22 who will be a workbench for turning them into a DD type Walkman complete with self assembly kits.

WM-10ii / 30; currently WIP;

https://jordach.net/s2g/VID_20161209_123147.mp4

https://jordach.net/s2g/video-1481296388%20(1).mp4 (You can see that the front lid is missing it's clear cover.)

Only videos at the moment, I had to repair it with one of mihokm's belts, after applying a generous amount of 100% alcohol to remove the gummy belt. Running with no resistor altering after cleaning and installing mihokm's belt.

WM-EX560/2;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Runs fine, has a slight issue of slipping (original belt was loose, and not goop) when changing sides after FF or Rew. Changing sides to forwards (on side A) and back again fixes it; it's not the belt, as it's a fresh one from our favourite belt dealer.

At some time in the new year I'll attempt to take better photos with better lighting.

Headphones - Technics RP-DJ1200.

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing your experience
    How do you want to change your email-22 to a DD Walkman ?

3. Jordach

Jordach New Member

The WM-22/23/24/25 series do not have moving capstans, flywheels and motors, as mihokm has discovered, that brass gears work effectively; which would work quite well as a replacement.

These brass items do not move - removing them, weighing them (important) then 3D CAD designing model accurate gears that "drop in" to the chassis of the old Walkman. The easy part is finding a donor motor - I own plenty WM-22 without any shell, but they power on just fine.

Some Walkmen - like the WM-10/30 cannot do this; they have a moving flywheel has a certain thrust clearance and are generally difficult to deal with.

Here's a picture of the chassis of the WM-22 for example, (the 23/24/25 are identical!)

[​IMG]
    I might not have much clearance to work with, but it's definitely possible to do.

Edit: I'm likely to send a prototype model to Walkman Archive for testing - I've also thought about disassembling the D6C for it's playback head for reasons and other parts that might work on the WM-24 board.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

To me it is a very difficult task.
    Please share some pictures if you decide to do it.

5. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

Great work. If only I had steady hands like yours...

6. Jordach

Jordach New Member

You don't need steady hands, just a service manual. ;)

The difficult part is likely removing the flywheel and capstan ring, as the service manual never has the method in which you remove them.

(My second question is - does the capstan have to be made from metal? Why can't it be a steel core with a softer, but grippy rubber ring like the pinch roller as to lower tape damage over time?)

7. Jordach

Jordach New Member

Good news, the belt in my WM-10ii works perfectly inside the -30.

Even better news; it plays like it left the factory...until the voltage from the unsoldered (it contacts the power pins only, it will stop when moved). I also don't seem to hear any scratching, as I'll need the DCC-70 (car battery to barrel plug) to arrive for testing purposes.

WM-30 with custom power fix;

https://jordach.net/s2g/VID_20161225_112909.mp4 (At the end you can hear it lose voltage as it moved off of the positive contact.)

https://jordach.net/s2g/VID_20161225_113052.mp4 The positive terminal is gone, but she stays strong.

Merry Chistmas all!

8. Jordach

Jordach New Member

I discovered what DC barrel Sony used - it amazes me more than anything; a standard 1.7mm x 4.0mm barrel. I used vernier calipers (digital readout) to verify what barrel size it was, sadly I had to eyeball the negative pin.