Portable Cassette Newspaper Ads!

Discussion in 'Brochures, advertising, data & specs...' started by Mister X, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Sony CFS-350 from 1985

Sony CFS 350 UCLA daily Bruin.png

deech and Mystic Traveller like this.
  2. Mister X

Some goodies from 1994, check out the price on the MD Player, I think this was the biggest reason it never took off in the US.

1994 Boating.png

Mystic Traveller and deech like this.
  3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

That is an early adopter price. I just had a look through the Argos catalogues and they didn't appear in them until late 1996. It is interesting that they seem to be pushing the idea of pre-recorded discs.
    1997 Minidisc.jpg
    Minidisc was more portable and from what people have said far less prone to skipping than CD. Having said that there were a few Anti-Shock portable CD players starting at £110; twice the price of the cheapest portable CD player.

Fast forward four years to 2000 and the Minidisc players have shrunk both in size and price while the range has grown.
    2000 Minidisc.jpg 2000 Minidisc b.jpg

Mister X and Mystic Traveller like this.
  4. Mister X

A cool one for the Toshiba RT-8700S from 1980, I bet Future Tronics was a pretty cool place. Check out the price on the clock radio, I'm not sure why that is so high but everyone had one like it back then.

Toshiba RT-8700S UCLA daily Bruin1983.png

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  5. Mister X

Another Ad from Future Tronics, it looks like the price for the RT-8700S has dropped. The Toshiba KT-S2 is a nice unit but pretty expensive, I wonder how much the KT-S1 with recording went for. I recently scored the super-rare AM tape tuner for these units.

Toshiba KT UCLA daily Bruin1983.png

6. Mister X

The JVC M60 from 1981, $369.00 USD, holy cow was that expensive back then. It's a very nice beautiful unit, definitely a keeper.

JVC M60 1981.png

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  7. Mister X

1981, the AIWA Series 10 System is $428.00 USD, pretty big money for 1981 and it doesn't include the box to make it portable. I think with the optional battery pack it stands the same size as the speakers but that would go with the carrin box.

101581 Aiwa.jpg

deech likes this.
  8. Mister X

Highland wasn't afraid to have some nicer boomboxes in the early days, double the price to get the current inflation rate. Free tapes was a huge bonus, sadly I don't remember these models at our local Highland but as a young boy they would have been pretty neat.

Michigan Daily Digest 1981.jpg

deech likes this.
  9. Mister X

Some more from Highland (Michigan) 1981, the Toshiba KT S2 (with radio cartridge) is the price leader and when people realized that battery life stunk on portables but radios would play longer, they became a very popular option. The JVC RC M60 is the price leader for boxes, according to an article in another thread, JVC was thought to be high-quality by consumers but looking at the other boxes I'd say it was also the most polished and refined looking on the page.

Highland 1981.jpg

deech likes this.
  10. Longman

Another interesting set of adverts back from when a Panasonic personal stereo was $1 more than a Panasonic boombox! Those prices explain why I didn't get a personal stereo until about 1983 when you could get a Sanyo for about £40. I already had a boombox and a car cassette player, so it wasn't an essential, and only really got used a lot when on holiday.

Going back to the Highland advert with stereos the Sharp VZ3000 was a big seller here in the UK and still commands good prices on Ebay. While the mini Aiwas come up for sale I don't recall them appearing in anything like as many catalogues as the Sharp. Here are both the VZ3000 and the portable VZ2000 from a 1982 Kays catalogue.

Sharp VZ3000.jpg Sharp VZ2000.jpg

The $799 Panasonic would have been an oddity and non seller here. For anything over £300 people would have expected a Technics The Panasonic name, while appearing on High-End TVs,Video equipment, and Shortwave Radios, only appeared on basic Music Centres.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  11. Mister X

We didn't have many Panasonic Components over here, I don't think I own any but Technics was also very popular here and they had entry-level to high end with the line up. The "Thruster" Speakers really hurt their reputation, they were really low-quality. The Panasonic RS-J3 was a neat little brick player, it is one of the rare ones with RCA outputs on the case. I think it was built to be a dual home/portable tape deck since it's much bigger and heavier than the WM-2 on the same page. It does have an odd feature, it has a built in MIC but the unit does not record, I haven't played around with it yet but was it made for singing along to your cassettes?

12. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

The Sharp VZ-3000 is a lot more powerful than the VZ-2000 or 2500. Too bad it's not portable.

Mister X likes this.
  13. Mister X

It looks like it has the same record playing unit, do you know Reli? I love all of the vertical players but that style seemed more to be aimed at women, they loved the smaller footprint. I think the Mitsubishi Vertical TT was more common over here, I never saw the Sharp in the old days.

14. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Same linear tracking/both sides play technology, which made a lot of sense but most people wanted to stick with separate components

Mister X likes this.
  15. Longman

Yes the VZ3000 is designed for home use. An Ebay listing showed that the back is actually hardboard, which was fairly common for low end audio at the time. I think all the Sharp both sides vertical record decks shared parts. You want the separate component ?

Sharp record deck.jpg
    You would be lucky to get one of those for £160 these days. I have seen a picture (probably in the old forum) of this deck next to a GF777. They went together really well being about the same height and the same colour.

Back to adverts how about some TV ads which I found while looking for information on Vertical turntables

From 1984 Currys and Dixons were owned by the same company so they weren't really advertising against each other.

deech, Mystic Traveller and Mister X like this.
  16. Mister X

Superscope CRS 2020 from 1980 for $109.00 USD, their most basic stereo model and seems to be mostly plastic build, most of the other companies were heading in this direction after building tanks in the 70's with internal metal chassis's and point to point wiring.

UCD19801217.jpg

17. Mister X

Radio Shack was advertising a DCC player in 1995, I don't remember the player in any of our local stores.

1995 Radio Shack DCC.png

18. Longman

I wonder if that explains why the DCC Museum is in the USA. I don't recall seeing DCC for sale in any mainstream UK stores, unlike MiniDisc which was in Argos and other department stores for years.

19. Mister X

From 1988, price is Australian Dollars.

Electronics Australia 1988.png

20. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Dick Smith Electronics :loldiag: