1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Presents of Yesteryear

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Longman, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I would guess that more Boomboxes and personal stereos get used for the first time on Christmas Day than any other day of the year.

Therefore I thought I would start a thread in which people can describe their Christmas (or Birthday etc)
    presents of Yesteryear. The only rule is that it can't be something you bought yourself.

Actually the Sony CFS45L I received in 1980 only half counts. Back then, after a year at work I had spent months researching a replacement for my mono Amerex cassette recorder. I decided the Sony was the best box in my price range as it had a proper Line In and Line Out facility. This was because it was going to have to act as both cassette deck and tuner in my Stereo system. Most HiFi Separates were out of my price range then.

As I didn't have suitable transport, on December 13th my parents took me to the shop "Sound Selection" where I had seen the Sony.

Back then most people paid for things by cheque and banks gave you a cheque guarantee card that was good for £50. As the Sony was £77.95 (a couple of weeks wages for me back then) I wrote a cheque for £50 and my Dad wrote one for £27.95.

CFS45L Receipt0001.jpg

When we got home I was informed that it was my Christmas present and I would have to wait until Christmas day to open it.:shock

Anyway I certainly got my moneys worth out of it and 37 years later here it is under the 2017 tree.
    CFS45L.JPG
    So lets hear, and if possible have pictures of gear you received as presents in the past.

p.s I knew Sound Selection closed down years ago.
    Out of curiosity I went on Streetview to see what was there now.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4...4!1s33-jSZhc3LYbT5PjtUWZGw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It is a Charity shop raising funds to help "recovering addicts", which seemed rather ironic given some Stereo2Go members collections.

Maybe you might be lucky enough to find a boombox or personal stereo there,
    or perhaps even one of the Betamax VCRs which they were selling for over £500 back in 1980.

Merry Christmas.

2. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas! :headphones:

nickeccles likes this.
  3. Mystic Traveller

Nice story! :) Is it still the same box you got back in the day?

4. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Yes the same one.

Over the years the tape counter reset button broke off (twice) while the handle also had to be reinforced after breaking.
    Apart from scratching noises while tuning it still works (without even a belt replacement) after all these years.

I also have here my Mums mono Sanyo Radio Cassette bought from the same shop in 1973.

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  5. Mystic Traveller

It's a Sony, :) well, I'd say it was a Sony meaning corporation itself.
    Times have changed.