1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Sharp boombox

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by 2channelhero, Dec 12, 2018.

1. 2channelhero

2channelhero Active Member

Has any of you guise heard of a sharp GF-7650ZR? I got one of these coming from Greece and I can hardly find another one on the whole web! 91EA6C27-7572-436D-A071-DA4D8D44131E.jpeg

Mister X, deech and Boodokhan like this.
  2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

No, but you could make quite a collection of red boomboxes, especially from Sharp.

I spotted this one while looking for something else yesterday.

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/SHARP-Gf-7-...393629?hash=item33fc4f649d:g:7~MAAOSwlINcDCv9

I was surprised that, like the one you show, it is a "GF" as opposed to a "QT". Maybe they only came up with the 'QT' name, which I assume is a pun on Cutie, as it is applied to the smaller boxes, in colours like red yellow or pink, at a later date.

3. Easthelp

Easthelp Active Member

The one-piece design doesn’t look too bad, 2ChannelHero – except, of course, for that quite displeasing “sliced off top” tuner knob design.:shakehead:

Did this unit suffer a smack to the tuner window, a denting impact? Those tuner façade strips might be replaceable for someone with the skill and the will to do “surgery” on a boombox that they buy (or to pay someone else to do the “surgery”:wink2), but a “good” or “mint” condition system is still a (literally) neater find.

The five-band graphic equalizer should provide a fair chance at customizing the stereo’s sound.

As you say, sir, it seems to be a relatively rare bird: can’t easily find any videos demoing one online (whatever the colour).

Don’t know if this unit is missing some chrome trim around the squared tweeter frames LOL, but enjoy some good music with it. (Maybe some Tomaso Albinoni on a PolyGram cassette?)

2channelhero likes this.
  4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

It might be an AKA Sharp GF-382, still it seems to be rare, especially in red. I don't think the tuner window is bad Easthelp, it looks like a light reflection. I grabbed a Sanyo with the same shiny red plastic last year not knowing the quality, the shiny plastics tend to be entry level models but my Sanyo is stellar and it looks like the Sharp might also be a top-shelf unit. We've talked about all the variety of models Greece had back in the 80's, with all of the islands and tourism, these radios were really popular and they seemed to have boxes never seen anywhere else. If you get a chance, check out my Another Cool Japanese Website Thread, some of the sites have the old catalogs pages.

2channelhero likes this.
  5. deech

deech Well-Known Member

Hello ,
    I have been absent for some time but i really try to follow the boombox forum on the site.

Here is a Red Sharp GF 550 i got today. I will post a better picture these next few days
    maybe with its silver brother the Sharp GF-500. This one is very dark and I had no flash.
    RSHARP.jpg

Easthelp rightfully mentioned all the downsides of this Sharp GF 7650 , maybe it will also need
    a speaker repaint job.
    HoweverIts a thing of beauty. :) Great for acquiring it 2ChannelHero.
    MisterX also knows the background of those scarce models !
    Longman ''cutie'' is the word.
    Never thought of it like that but it surely fits the description for smaller sharps . :)

Happy Holidays Everyone to you and your families.:wavey:

Boodokhan and Mister X like this.
  6. Mister X

Nice to see you back deech! I was thinking back in the old days we never saw any of these outside of random Japanese Brochures that would show up once in a while. Now were getting a good sampling of these very rare units, I just got a nice tiny red/black QT the other day and it's really cute.

deech likes this.
  7. deech

deech Well-Known Member

Here it is as promised. A couple of better pictures of the Sharp GF- 550 ZR .:christmas
    2ChannelHero i am in no way hi-jacking your thread , i jut want to point out
    the beauty of those Red Sharps.
    IMG_20181222_160718.jpg

IMG_20181222_162700.jpg

Mister X likes this.
  8. Mister X

Those are both beautiful units, the designers were really in the zone, they took the cheesiest of Hong Kong's brightly colored offerings and upgraded them with higher end features and really pulled it off.

I can't believe I missed the Sonisphere Festival, looks like a good time although I'm much more of a Megadeth Fan than Metallica

9. 2channelhero

2channelhero Active Member

This unit is pretty much the same as my Sharp GF-7600 (gold) one featured in “Say Anything” and “Ready Player One” Both have no chrome around the tweeters and the tuner strip on the red one is not dented, just a light reflection. I cleaned it, belted the tape deck, and blacked out the speakers as they were heavily stained. The US models are the GF-382 which I’ve so far, only seen in silver with blue speaker grilles and blue tuner strip, and in red. They only have AM FM and 120 volt input only.
    054FA1D5-746D-4603-9797-1887935D1562.jpeg
    My GF-7600(gold)
    6247DB3C-925C-4BD8-838E-A13B11100140.png
    My GF-7650zr all clean, but not mint. Still happy to have such a rare specimen straight from Marousi!
    Early Christmas present to myself!

10. Costa32

Costa32 Member

These ones got taste! Love them!