1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repair help AIWA TP-80 / TP-S101

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by RetroAndMore, Feb 9, 2018.

1. RetroAndMore

RetroAndMore New Member

Hello,

I've got an AIWA TPS-80. This is the voice recorder version of the TP-S101, it has other functions instead of Dolby B and the DBB features.

As usual, the belt is defective. I've opened the case and all screws, but on the bottom right corner, where the belt runs from the motor around a black pulley (I hope this is the correct word?) I can't lift the board. Is it soldered somewhere in this area? I have the service manual, but they don't show any removal figures. The drive mechanism is OZM-4 like f.e. the HS-JX707.

I would be glad if somebody has some tips, it's rather frustating if the repair is probably not possible because the PCB isn't removable on a single place...

Greets, RetroAndMore.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. bub

bub Active Member

Yep! If it is an OZM logic mechanism, you have to desolder the solenoids. There should be two of them (if layout is like JX707) , one near the bottom left and another near the headphone jacks, and you may have to desolder internal battery contacts.
    If you take a picture of the board I can show you where they are.

3. RetroAndMore

RetroAndMore New Member

Well, I'm not good in soldering, so I won't do this. If anyone in Europe is interested in this device, I already have bought a service manual as PDF and a replacement belt.

Different Question: I have a Sony WM-EX59 and it's LCD Remote RM-WM70E. I've repaired the belt and the volume knob, so it's working again. But there's a bigger problem: The battery was leaked, so heavy that the black color of the inside is partitally removed and there are remains in the area with the gears. However, there are no transport problems. The main problem is that the remote connector doesn't work correctly, the pins are probably too dirty. If I connect the remote, I mostly have an empty display, but it's possible to get it working. The play/stop/ff/rew buttons on the remote are not working, also the left channel. If the remote is connected, the sound on the 3,5 mm connector is distorted. However, if I use the functions on the walkman, everything in the display works, the moving 'WALKMAN' text, all functions and symbols including the AVLS smilie and the lock key.

Is there a way to clean this remote connector and align the pins correctly? It looks rather difficult because the connector is so tight. An alternative would be to use my defective WM-EX57, this one has a clean remote connector and the housing is not corroded by battery acid. I have two more WM-EX57, so it would be useful to repair the EX59. I like this walkman series because they are very slim ones, but still can use a standard AA battery. No gumstick batteries, no charging device, no external battery pack. And the EX59 even has an LCD remote.

4. bub

bub Active Member

You can try Deoxit D5, but it sounds like replacement will be the best and most reliable option.