1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tape used to secure the wires on board

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Boodokhan, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

There is a special tape to secure the wires inside the walkmans. When this tape is removed during belt change or walkman repair cannot be used again (wont stick/ attach to the board anymore). regular clear tapes dont serve the same sticky capability.
    Is there a name for this type of tape? Is it available to buy or how can i find it?

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Try Kapton tape. It is widely used in electronics manufacture.

952 ebay listings for it today

3. Boodokhan

Thanks a lot

4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Agreed, Kapton tape works fine, and it is Really heat-resistant! Pieces of Kapton tape were the only thing left undamaged when my homebrew Li-Ion battery caught fire inside a Discman.
    However, I like to use the same tape as the manufacturer during my restorations, and the best approximation I found so far is TESA tape:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TESA-51026-...958944?hash=item338747c1e0:g:Z0EAAOxywh1TBxQC

It sticks like crazy, even if you forget to clean the board, can be removed without damaging anything, in short, This Is The Tape!
    The only "glitch" is that it is of better quality than tape used by Sony. If that is important to you, then use cheaper TESA 51025:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322049077314

5. Boodokhan

Thanks , I ordered this one, this is what I was looking for