1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upcoming BoomBoxes

Discussion in 'Portable Stereos of Today & Tomorrow' started by SantiOriginal, Sep 23, 2018.

?

Vote your 2019 on the market Boombox brand!

1. Aiwa

2. GPO

3. ION Audio

4. JVC

5. Panasonic

6. Panda

7. PHILIPS

8. Sansui

9. Sony

10. Toshiba - Aurex

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SantiOriginal

SantiOriginal Active Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

SCR-B2 AKA has been available in Aldi for over a year. In fact they still have them there. Not great reviews though.

SantiOriginal likes this.
  3. SantiOriginal

@Longman : i knew it! Sigh.. it's not very promising for the Aiwa models, i am curious what the reviews will be.. Feels like you can't trust anymore. I read for example that even new Marantz and Teac tapedecks are based on generic decks like Ion has... Same goes for the "walkmans 2018"; all the same.

Or are there exceptions?

4. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

The SCR-3, the Maxtex and a bunch of clones are blatant copies of the wonderful Sanyo MS 350 LE. I like this box so much that I have three, one in red and two in white (one of them mint and NIB). Having no time to take pics, for quick reference I'll use a radiomuseum image:

screen-capture-5.png

The copycat process affects only the design though. Whereas the Sanyo is solidly built and produces a phenomenally good sound for such a small size, their xxi century pseudo-akas perform very poorly. My advice: go for the real thing, you won't be disappointed.

5. SantiOriginal

@samovar tnx for this information! I was watching the video of the Maxtex that @Longman placed and i was surpised how small the unit is. Good to hear you have the real thing Sanyo MS 350 LE!!
    I myself have a Sharp 10P-18G - bulky, quite heavy, good quality - and a Philips D8323 - beautifull design like your Sanyo MS 350 LE -, both very nice units i'm happy with!

6. samovar

Soundwise, the best Philips I know is the D8514: a midsize unit with spectacular basses and such a classic look. Your D8323, a variation on the same theme, looks great and must be excellent too. My all-time fav Philips, however, is the D8714 Elephant: excellent sound & unique design.

Instead, I've never seen a Sharp 10P-18G in the real world. From the pics I found on the net it looks like a great 1970s radio cassette TV classic. Yes, you're the proud owner of two very nice units.

7. SantiOriginal

@samovar I read about " the beast" D8714 here @ s2g. What a machine!!

I bought the D8323 because i saw a Sharp GF6464 during a show i was watching (i think it was Humans). Then searching through internet i stumbled upon the Philips D8323 which i find astetically a little bit more beautifull :) Both have the same design elements. Listening music through it now!
    1537726331_tmp_IMG_20180923_200158.jpg 1537726779_tmp_IMG_20180923_200330.jpg

The Sharp 10P0-18G: it was filthy and the cassette compartiment was broken - i think the belts - so i let it repair. It runs like a Swiss clock now, the build quality seems superiour and sound when i play cassettes is great. The TV works too, it's black and white but "Sharp" ;). The sound is incredibely good: deep bass and full, like a good glass of red wine ;)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  8. nickelindimer

nickelindimer Active Member

Having shopped Aldi's for more than just electronics, I can tell you everything they sell is hit-or-miss. Nothing like sitting-down to a nicely prepared dinner of "soapy-tasting" ham!:confused: Good cream cheese, though....

9. Longman

I had always thought of them as a copy of the Sharp QT12. The graphics on the front certainly is.

http://magnitolia.blogspot.com/2014/12/blog-post.html

Nickelindimer. I hope the "Automatic Welding Helmets" they have in at the moment aren't "Hit and Miss". Both Aldi and Lidl (equally big in the UK) have some really strange special buys like those and the welder to go with it. I think they work on the principle that people will buy them because if you don't buy one now you will wait a year before they, or an equivalent come around again. I wonder how many get bought only to sit in peoples garages.

The squeakboxes you show were first in for Father's day last year.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  10. samovar

@Longman From the Sharp they took just the sticker. And it's a red herring, since almost everything else, design-wise, is Sanyo-derived ;)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  11. SantiOriginal

@Longman thanks for sharing the link of Magnitolia! A truely rich and informative Blog! Long live google translate!

12. nickelindimer

Well, all I know is here in the 'States, we have both halves of the Aldi Food Markets: Aldi and Trader Joe's, with the latter being the "upscale" one, and I seriously doubt I'll see a welding set at either one.

And, a little more back on topic: My dad impulsively bought a 9"TV/VCR from them, and it's served us well, so far... Plus I later found a Toshiba of the same design, and learned of the same sold under other marques. And I've seen the same done with mini-fridges. So....

13. SantiOriginal

@nickelindimer Seems it's al OEM copy paste of the same theme nowadays... It's fine by me if they choose to make good quality build machines like the Sanyo MS 350 LE, but do they?

14. nickelindimer

Good question... especially when you consider how the remote for some Aldi brand like Tevion--marque of the unit in question--also operates a distinctly different model TV/VCR-combo from Pioneer.

15. SantiOriginal

@nickelindimer Really? Wow... how sad to see craftmanship is deminished only for the very wealthy. The rest is equalized egalitairian bulk for the masses that has only a way out of looking back in the past to aquire some piece of real fine equipment. Therefor it's good to see people like Magnitolia, Teddy Hashee, etc keep it alive. It's humble. I wish the companies like Philips, Sony, Sharp and other companies took note of that and spark inspiration of what they will do next. (I'm just a dreaming old fool, i know) :)

16. Longman

It is called brand engineering and has been going on for years, although it seems to be more common these days.
    Search these forums for the term AKA (Also Known As) and you will find out more. For example companies like Radio shack (Realistic) and Dixons (Prinz/Saisho/Matsui) never made anything themselves.

There are some very big manufacturers with small profiles. For example Vestel in Turkey make TVs for many different companies including ones you wouldn't expect like Panasonic.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/how-to-tell-if-your-tvs-a-vestel.2019864/

Foxconn are another huge company who make products for many companies including Apple. I actually wonder if Apple would currently be capable of making an iPhone or iPad as opposed to designing them.

Away from electronics here is something that should amuse SantiOriginal. I work very close to some major docks. Last week there was a brand new Right Hand Drive Mini Convertible parked near the entrance, and I mean brand new with all the protective film still on in and no licence plates. This puzzled me so I had a better look. The delivery notes still taped to the windscreen showed it had come in to the UK from Rotterdam; even more puzzling. In turns out that Mini Convertibles, complete with their Union Jack tail-lights and roofs are manufactured by Nedcar in the Netherlands :shock.

17. nickelindimer

Oh, man! You just reminded me of the total POS Renault with the leak-prone Mitsubishi V-6 that Chrysler sold under the Eagle badge. The only reason they did it was to gain the transmissions Renault made, which really weren't that durable in the first-place.

18. SantiOriginal

19. SantiOriginal

Stumbled upon this video: . Seems ION has a decent boombox in their line-up that catched my attention:

ION Boombox Deluxe https://www.ionaudio.com/boombox-deluxe-boomboxdlxus
    ION Street Rocker https://www.ionaudio.com/street-rocker

Both are stereo (!!!), have al the modern features like bluetooth, usb. And... they come with VU-meters! How cool is that!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The fact that the boomboxes are STEREO is good news.

In this video about the
    Panda 6503 cassette/mp3/radio recorder
    CassetteComeback just don't understand why Panda didn't put a stereo head in this fairly decent device and gets mad ;)

ION did a good job i guess with it's boomboxes.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    speedy2.0 and Mister X like this.
  20. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I have to get over to Best Buy and check one out but I like Ion Products and feel like this may be a decent box for carrying around. The looks are basic but not cheap and hopefully it has a rechargeable battery similar to the one in my Job Rocker Speaker/Radio which lasts several hours at full blast.

I just checked Best Buy's Inventory....available tomorrow! $139.00 USD